Community Support Resources
Below are resources that address the social‐emotional needs of all stakeholders, including students, during an infectious disease outbreak. In addition, ALH can be a source of information for students and families.
School-Based Health Centers in Albany
The district’s community partner, Whitney M. Young, Jr. Health Center is now offering well-child and acute medical appointments at three school-based health centers (SBHC) located at Giffen Memorial Elementary School, Sheridan Preparatory Academy: A Community School, and Philip J. Schuyler Achievement Academy Community School.
You do not have to attend the schools above to receive services. Appointments (including TeleHealth) are open to all City School District of Albany students.
- New York State COVID-19 Testing Sites: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you
- School Mental Health and Training Center: https://mhanys.org/programs/schools/
- NYS Office of Mental Health: https://omh.ny.gov/
- Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks: https://store.samhsa.gov/system/files/sma14‐4885.pdf
- Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/28/809580453/just‐for‐kids‐a‐comicexploring‐the‐new‐coronavirus
- Fear of Coronavirus—A Good Time to Talk to Kids About Keeping Fears Realistic and Manageable, Lois M. Collins, Deseret News, Jan. 28, 2020: https://www.deseret.com/indepth/2020/1/28/21112457/fear‐coronavirus‐china‐childrenanxiety‐health‐medicine‐virus
- Scholly Student Relief Fund – Cash assistance to help cover expenses during COVID-19: http://myscholly.com/relief/
- Xfinity – Free access to Xfinity Hot Spots. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/open-xfinity-wifi-hotspots
- Strive Virtual College Exploration Week – https://www.strivescan.com/virtual/
- The Iris Center – Homework Help Tips for Parents